Draft Minutes, September 10, 2009
Salisbury Conservation Commission
Draft minutes of Monthly Meeting
September 10, 2009
Members present: Jim Andrews, Ron Hardt, Crispin Butler, Heidi Willis, Chris Fastie, Barrie Bailey, Preston Turner, and Sue Staats
Public present: Todd Weidman
Members absent: None
1) Public comment: none
2) Minutes: August minutes were approved.
3) Treasurer’s report: No activity. The balance in the Town allocation is $350.00; the balance in the SCC checking account is $133.71.
4) Old Business:
- Town Forest related activities –
- Explorations at the school is currently underway, scheduled for 5 more Fridays plus one celebration day. Ron is leading this.
- Landfill days – We have Mike’s OK regarding having the SCC set up a tent at the landfill on two Saturdays in October. These days are Oct. 17th and 24th. Jim’s tent is available to use. Jim was not able to contact the Town resident whom we had invited to join; Jim will relay these dates to that person. Maps: Crispin can print boundary maps from Chris’s TF report, Chris will send Crispin 6-8 maps to print. Jim will find out if these maps can be laminated, with attention to the size requirements. Resource handout: Copies will be made by Jim.
- Resource corner – no update
- Evening with Jane L. – Date is Oct. 14th. Jane’s letter is ready to be sent to Town landowners and the article by Jane is ready for the Salamander. The school is reserved. SCC will provide food (bat cookies??!). Jim will call Jane to ask the number of people invited and whether we should call landowners as a follow up to Jane’s letter.
- New members – no update
- Wildlife sightings – Barrie is working on an article for the Salamander as outlined at our last meeting.
5. New Business:
- Draft budget for 7/1/09 – 6/30/09 – Barrie prepared a handout of a draft
budget. We voted to approve an amendment to this budget; the amendment requires that postage and printing be listed under “other projects”.
- Fund raising ideas:
- Ice-go-out on Lake Dunmore – contest to guess date and time
- Silent auction at Salisbury Town Meeting or Town picnic
- Guess date and number of the first spotted salamander(s) crossing on Morgan Rd.
- Auction off volunteer help (odd jobs, etc)
- Kayak/canoe race
- We had questions related to two of these ideas: calendars and ice-go-out contest.
- Calendars – Heidi will call the Salisbury Fire Dept. to ask why they dropped offering the calendars and what were some of the good points and bad points of creating the calendars
- Ice-go-out contest – Preston will contact a friend of his at Joe’s Pond to ask how they do their ice-out contest.
- Zoning administrator – discussion about inviting this person to one of our
meetings was postponed until our next meeting.
Actions to be taken:
- Jim will relay the Oct. landfill dates to the guest that we would like to have join us
- Crispin will print boundary maps from Chris’s TF report
- Chris will send Crispin 6-8 maps
- Jim will find out if the maps can be laminated
- Copies of the resource handout will be made by Jim
- All members will provide food for the town meeting with Jane L.
- Heidi will call the Salisbury Fire Dept. to ask about creation of calendars
- Preston will contact a friend at Joe’s Pond to ask how they do their ice-out contest
- Jim will call Jane to ask the number of people invited and whether we should call landowners as a follow up to Jane’s letter.
Next meeting: October 8, 2009
Meeting adjourned at 8:50 pm.