Minutes, March 11, 2010
Salisbury Conservation Commission
March 11, 2010
Present: Heidi Willis, Barrie Bailey, Jim Andrews, Preston Turner, Chris Fastie, Crispin Butler
Absent: Sue Staats, Ron Hardt
Public Comment: A general discussion of lands within the town that may be deeded to MALT or VLT led to the question of the possibility of land being deeded to this commission. No action was taken.
Treasurer’s Report: $301.35 remain in our Town Account and $175.00 in our Independent Account. On July 1 $400.00 are scheduled to be added to our Town Account.
1. Program check in: The Town Forest Walk was deemed a success by all present who took part in the walk. A total of 28 people went on the walk in the Town Forrest on the eastern side of Upper Plains Road. The light snow cover allowed the group to see a variety of tracks and to read a number of track stories in the snow. Trees and shrubs were identified and the basic geology of the area was described.
Candidates Forum was cancelled due to the small number of contested seats.
2. Critter Cam update: The camera is not functioning consistently yet. Chris and Preston agreed to work on solving its problems.
3. Town Forest Inventory update: Barrie has talked with Martha Sullivan and Deb Brighton of the Planning Commission. Chris Olson, the Addison County Forester, is doing the survey, but it is not clear if he is including Threatened and Endangered species in the survey. Barrie will find out the details of the PC meeting where the survey is on the agenda and email that information to SCC members.
4. Tracking: Crispin’s and Ron’s routes need more data. The SCC asked Jim to rehire Amy to enter the available data into a GPS mapping program and to contact Jens Hilke to see if we can get a new set of tracking maps by this summer.
AVCC Grant proposal: Jim and Chris are working on a grant proposal to fund the tracking program through next year.
5. Raffle Planning: We will have an Online Auction at http://support.townofsalisbury.org starting on Sunday, April 18 and ending on Friday, April 30. And we shall have a bucket raffle at the Clean Up Day Dinner on Saturday, May 1. Chris and Barrie are in charge of the two events. One or more photos and a blurb are needed for each item in the Online Auction before March 31. SCC as a whole is charged with obtaining items for auction and raffle.
6. Salamander Soiree planning: Jim asked that two nights this year be public events. Chris will email a description of the SS to all on his list of people interested in the SCC. And Heidi will email her list of people that have expressed interest in participating in the soiree immediately after Jim designates each event.
7. AVCC Annual Meeting: Will be held in Randolph Saturday, April 25 at the Vermont Technical College. Barrie and Heidi plan to attend. Heidi will check with the Select Board to see if we can use the Town Conference Fund for the meeting.
1. Goals review: Tabled.
2. We were informed that Jens Hilke and Jane Lazorchak both losing their positions on June 1. Since both of these state employees have been so directly helpful to the SCC, Jim will draft a letter in their support to the Governor with copies to appropriate officials.
3. Meet and Greet: Sunday, April 25 is the tentative date.
4. Membership: Heidi will ask Sue if she wishes to ask for reappointment. Chris and Jim expressed willingness to serve another term.
5. Walks and Talks: On Saturday, May 8, Chris will lead another Town Forest walk (read hike) that will include the old hemlocks on the other side of the steep ridge on the eastern edge of the Town Forest.
Actions to be taken:
1. All members will locate items to be auctioned or raffled and notify Barrie or Chris.
2. Chris will help Preston to get the critter camera working, work with Jim on the AVCC grant proposal, email his list of people interested in SCC a description of the Salamander Soiree, email Heidi a blurb about his upcoming spring scramble in the town forest and work with Barrie on the Online Auction.
3. Heidi will be in charge of notifying people of the specific S Soiree events, find out if Town Conference Funds can be used for the AVCC conference, contact Sue regarding reappointment to SCC , and attend the AVCC conference.
4. Barrie will get information about the PC meeting concerning the Town Forest Survey to the SCC, work with Chris on the Bucket Raffle, and attend the AVCC conference.
5. Jim will hire Amy to enter this years tracking data, organize the S Soirees, and draft a letter in support of Jens and Jane to the Governor,
6. Preston will work on the critter cam.
7. Crispin will get a draft of the minutes to SCC members.
Next Meeting date: Thursday, April 8 at 7:00P EDT
1. Town Forrest Hike to old Hemlocks.
2. Critter Cam Update.
4. Salamander Soiree Update.
5. History Walk.
6. Meet and Greet plans.